August 17, 2010

Romantic Cuffs from Men's Sleeve



This cuff is basically a recon from the leftovers of another recon. I use men's dress shirts all the time (my dad is always getting rid of them) so I always have a lot of leftover sleeves and pockets. I also used some lace I found at SCRAP in Portland for 25 cents. So in all, this cuff cost me about 10 cents. I made two of them because there are two sleeves!

So I used a French cuff, which is longer and doesn't have any buttons on it. Generally, there are also ruffles. If yours DOESN'T have ruffles, you can make ruffles from some extra fabric from the sleeve. Mine had gathering so I just cut about 1 and a half inches from the edge of the cuff.
Because mine was a French cuff, it was longer so I folded it in half and sewed in the two areas noted in the picture above.
I happened to have a cream lace strip laying around from SCRAP. If you don't have lace like this, you can cut out strips of lace that are about 2 inches thick. The length is as long as your cuff is flat.
Sew it to the back of the cuff so that it shows from underneath in the front.
This is what it should look like.
Since mine had no buttons, I sewed on some buttons. There are two sleeves so make two of them! They are so darling.









1 comments on "Romantic Cuffs from Men's Sleeve"

La Bouilloire Noire on October 3, 2010 at 7:41 PM said...

super fun! I love it!

Post a Comment